Osmund is friendly and talkative, eager to make acquaintances. His seeming concern and care for others is mostly from his work as a bartender, as it makes people more likely to trust him or say things without thinking. The few people he has genuine concern for are those closest to him. Protective and loyal when his friends are concerned, Oz tries (with mixed results) to be an emotional support. He places great importance on trust and standing by one's decisions. Otherwise, Oz acts without any regard to the status quo and/or others, only living by his short list of morals and convictions.
Just like his father, many have commented that Oz is noticeably unstable. When riled up, (whether it's excitement or anger), he can become manic at best and psychotic at worst, acting unpredictably and sometimes dangerously.
Elena Fielding was studying English at Duke University when she met Dionysus. She worked part-time as a bartender at one of the most popular bars on campus, and the god was drawn to her prowess with drinks and love of literature, becoming a regular at the bar. After one particularly long night, a dozen drinks, and an in-depth discussion of Shakespeare, Osmund was conceived.
Elena took the news of Dionysus' true identity pretty well, all things considered. She decided that, until it became to dangerous to care for Osmund, that he wouldn't know the truth about his father, the gift he left behind, or camp. Even as a child, Oz was quite the handful, causing mischief every chance he could among the other kids and was considered by parents to be a "wild child". Elena graduated and becme a professor at Duke, but still kept her bartending job. As Osmund got older, he enjoyed watching her make drinks more and more, eventually tring to do it himself. When nobody was looking, she'd have him make orders or come up with new ones, and he quickly became just as good as his mother. Shortly after turning 13, Osmund was doing schoolwork in the bar when a large man with a hat came in and started trashing the place. In the commotion, the hat fell off and Osmund saw the single eye in the center of his forehead. Paralyzed with fear, he watched as the cyclops attacked his mother in the hopes of finding the young demigod. While Elena attempted to fend off the monster, Oz's fear was replaced with an anger bordering on lunacy. Grabbing a barstool, he went over and slammed t into the back of the cyclops' legs, forcing him to the ground. Elena looked to Osmund and threw him the grapevine ring she always wore around her neck ("It was your father's," she once said). Instead of catching the ring, he caught a bronze war sword, and promptly brought it down on the Cyclops' head. After everything was said and done, Elena told Osmund the truth of his lineage.
Over the next few years, Osmund was attacked every now and then, but never anything too serious now that he held on to his father's necklace (to everyone else it looked like a drunk student was trying to pick a fight for no reason). Eventually, after one too many angry centaurs tried to kill him at a college party, his mother decided it was time for him to go to Camp Half-Blood. Oz, for the first time, had free reign as he made his way from Durham to Montauk. He arrived at CHB several weeks later, battered, bruised, and more than a little drunk, but with a smile on his face. He was claimed the moment he reached the Big House.
- Ability to force a state of mild drunkenness on another person for a short time.
- Can fire powerful blasts of wine with high water pressure, the equivalent to that of a powerful fire hose.
- Can null the pain of any wound for a short time.
- Can create a field of energy around himself, anyone who steps through it will feel intense thought of madness and insanity. The opponent will be driven mad and completely forget about the battle or the user. This power is purely for defensive use, since the Oz cannot move while the field is in place.The longer the field is kept up, the more energy in drained. If an opponent already taken by the insanity attempts to attack Oz, they will see horrible hallucinations which will make it even harder to attack. Once the field vanishes, the target immediately regains their sanity.
- Has an innate partial resistance to the effects of alcohol.
- Can turn any beverage into wine and create small amounts of it out of nothing.
- Emits an aura of drunkenness, people would at least feel slightly drunk around him. It can be shut off for a long time if they please.
- Has the ability to create thick ropes of grape vines which can be used for a multitude of purposes. Oz can telekinetically control the vines.
- Can enhance himself through wine consumption. Quickly heals minor wounds, sharpens senses/focus, increases stamina; however if Oz consumes too much wine, he may become unpredictable, delusional to the point of hurting himself, or rampant in anger.
- Can cause someone to hallucinate things that aren't really there, the longer he maintains the hallucinogenic state the more energy it drains.
- His backpack can summon almost any kind of drink, along with utensils, glasses, etc. for bartending. Consequently, can summon some first aid materials (rubbing alcohol, towels, etc.)
- Oz has a taste for alcohol and partying (mostly alcohol)
- As Dionysus is the patron of plays, playwrights and acting, Oz is a pretty good actor and a decent playwright.
- Oz's fond of and is favored by predatory cats, nymphs and satyrs.
- Tends to give into thoughts of madness and/or insanity.